Deirdre, who is originally from Cork, met her husband Martin while she was working as a nurse in Galway. They lived in Carraroe for 20 years where she was Unit Director in Tí Nan Dooley. They moved to The Netherlands for a decade after Martin got a job there.
It was in Holland that she had the opportunity to pursue and develope her life-long passion for sculpting on a full time basis.
Since returning to Ireland in 2009 she has continued to develop her skill, exhibiting regularly around the country.
Deirdre Sculpts with a variety of new and recycled materials (including Clay, Metals, Stone, Wood, Fabric, and Solvents etc.) to create a range of unique figures, each with a character of it’s own. Each figure in her collection is individually designed and executed by hand.
Her subject is womanhood in all its forms, displayed in dance, in toil, the embrace of a child, decked out for an occasion, famine victims, the wild Atlantic Woman, the list goes on….
Her work has found its way into private collections throughout Ireland, Britain, The Netherlands, The U.S.A., Canada, Hong Kong, and Australia.
EXHIBITIONS AND AWARDS
– August 2015 – Wild Atllantic Women – Kilkenny Arts Festival, Provincial House, Kilkenny, Ireland.
– December 2014 – Wild Atlantic Women – Bridge Centre, Tullamore, Co. Offaly, Ireland.
– June 2014 – Bóithrin na Smaointe – Zetland House Hotel, Co. Galway, Ireland.
– January 2013 – And She Wore a Bonnet – Zetland House Hotel, Co. Galway, Ireland.
– June 2012 – An Exhibition of Mixed Media Sculpture and Painting – Zetland House Hotel, Co. Galway, Ireland.
– June 2011 – Fabrications – Zetland House Hotel, Co. Galway, Ireland.
– October 2014 – Oireachtas ne Gaeilge – Cashla, Connemara, Ireland.
– June-July 2011 – Art in Windows – Art Trail Killaloe & Ballina – Clare/Tipperary, Ireland.
– June-July 2010 – Art in Windows – Art Trail Killaloe & Ballina – Clare/Tipperary, Ireland.
– October 2005 – Kunst1Odaagse Bergen – Bergen NH, The Netherlands.
– The Whitethorn Gallery – Clifden, Co. Galway, Ireland.
– The Russell Gallery – New Quay, Co. Clare, Ireland.
– Best Emerging Artist Award – Art in Windows – Art Trail 2011 Killaloe & Ballina.